TU Research-Oriented Incoming Student (ROIS) Scholarship
Tohoku University (hereinafter referred to as “TU”) offers scholarships to qualified international students who are accepted under a student exchange agreement between TU and its partner institutions outside Japan (hereinafter referred to as the “home institutions”). This scholarship is funded by the Japan Student Services Association (hereinafter referred to as “JASSO”).
Applicants must fulfill all qualifications listed below.
1) Applicants must be enrolled as regular graduate students in a home institution that has a university or department-level student exchange agreement with TU, and will continue as candidates for degrees at their home institution after studying at TU.*1
2) Applicants must be majoring in some field of natural science.
3) Applicants must be approved to enroll in one of the following departments at TU as Special Research Students or Short-term Visiting Trainees.*2
Graduate School of Science / Graduate School of Medicine / Graduate School of Dentistry /
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences / Graduate School of Engineering /
Graduate School of Agricultural Science / Graduate School of Information Sciences /
Graduate School of Life Sciences / Graduate School of Environmental Studies /
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
4) The applicants’ study period at TU must be more than or equal to 10 days and should not exceed 12 months.*3
5) Applicants must fulfill all qualifications listed in the “JASSO Scholarship Eligibility Conditions”.
*1 Consult with the prospective academic advisor at TU if the applicant’s home institution doesn’t have a student exchange agreement with TU.
*2 Excluding Pre-Education period at TU.
*3 Excluding days on which the applicants enter/leave Japan.
How to Apply
Submit all application materials required to a prospective academic advisor at TU. Direct applications from applicants to the Student Exchange Division at TU will not be accepted. Late applications will not be accepted, even if the applicant has already come to Japan.
The application deadline depends on the TU department in which the applicants will enroll. Consult with a prospective academic advisor at TU for details.
Student Exchange Division
41 Kawauchi, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi, 980-8576 Japan
Tel: +81-22-795-3775 or 3745